International Women’s Day
Thursday 8 March is International Women’s day
To celebrate, a number of activities will be taking place in Wakefield One from 10am – 3pm. This year marks 100 years since women were able to vote. Let’s celebrate the achievements of all the inspirational women that fought to make this happen.
Between 10am – 2pm the Electoral Services team is holding a voter registration event.
From 2 – 3pm people from Occupational Health will be promoting the Well Women Centre in Wakefield. They will be promoting the centre and offering advice and support around Women’s wellbeing – anyone can call in and have a chat.
There will also be:
- Poets in Poll Booths – ask a poet to write and perform a poem especially for you
- Display’s in the Museum about the first secret ballot held in Pontefract
- From 10.10am – 11.50am there will be spoken word performances by the Forgotten Women of Wakefield
- Rachel Reeves MP will deliver a talk in the library learning zone at 12.15pm about the life of Alice Bacon, the first female MP from Yorkshire
- At 1pm – the unveiling of a blue plaque dedicated to Alice Bacon